Mastering the art of producing a definite outcome can be challenging in a saturated market of highly ambitious competitors. In July 2013, Jay Z did the unthinkable, and completely changed the way partnerships are developed and executed with music and technology. The hip-hop rapper and mega-entrepreneur keenly strategized a way to make his new album platinum before it reached public distribution. Who does that? A game-changer!
He created his own game by making a deal with Samsung to cross-promote his album with their equally identified target audience. Samsung agreed to purchase 1 million units of his new album and offered it to their Galaxy III and IV customers as a free download on the 4th of July. This cross-promotion strategy gave the album instant platinum status, Jay-Z received a $5 million check, and in exchange Samsung saved millions of dollars in advertising while increasing revenue due to the demand of customers wanting to hear Jay-Z’s latest music. In business, this kind of partnership is referred to as “synergy”, and authors can use a similar strategy for successful book launches. Partnering with the right brand can even open a door for media/press opportunities.
Lesson takeaway for authors:
Do the unthinkable and develop a book launch partnership with a well known brand the unthinkable and develop a book launch partnership with a well known brand to achieve your immediate goals. Here’s 3 simple things to do to get your started:
- Identify 3-5 brands that share the same message as your book.
- Make a list of 5 ways your book will benefit the potential partnership.
- Create a contact list for all of the decision makers you’ll need to reach out to.
Use LinkedIn to find over 100+ businesses/brands. Go to the “Advanced Search” bar, type in the (industry, job title, or topic) to find your prospects. Add them to your contact list and make the connection.
Do you need help with crafting a game-changing launch strategy for your book? Contact our publishing consultants today!
- Author Chat with Cherri Walston - August 17, 2015
- Author Chat with Akela Renae - August 10, 2015
- Book Marketing -vs- Publicity - June 20, 2015
- How to Create an Irresistible Brand - May 13, 2015
- How to Partner with Libraries to Sell More Books - April 22, 2015
- Fast-Track Your Profits with Collaborations - April 15, 2015
- A Pop Culture Lesson for Authors - April 3, 2015
- Author Chat with Spicee Gray - April 1, 2015
- I’m On Social Media, Now What Do I Say? - March 25, 2015
- Author Chat with Dortha Hise - March 2, 2015